Monday, April 29, 2013

Building a house is an Allegory for Building my Running Confidence

This weekend, while pet sitting my friends' dog Tuxxie, it was a weekend of growth and accomplishment.  While the dog silently stared at me, judging me condescendingly, I ignored her pleas for attention, and focused on my own personal growth.  For one, I learned that I can't handle the stress of pet ownership.  Tuxxie is a pretty well behaved dog, who can just easily lay on the couch all day as she could running free in the park chasing after tennis balls.  Unfortunately for her, I chose the former, and there she sat all day on my couch, staring at the TV.


 But while she wasted her life in forced laziness, I was out and about taking care of business.  First order at hand, my home.  No thanks to another lazy individual (sales rep for my builder), I found out my house has been going up at record speeds!  The framing is all but finished and the house is actually starting to look like something I could probably live in!  From the photos below, you'll see the clean lines, and beveled angles, and winched corners....hahaha ok fine i don't know what the hell I'm talking about but it's damn exciting either way!






It's been great watching the house grow into something wonderful, which as the subject of this post suggests....




In another attempt to grow as a person, I completed my first 5K over the week.  Notice I did not say I RAN my first 5K, because while some running was involved, and honestly more than I thought would be, I walked at least 2/3 of it.  But that means I did run at least a mile, which is something my 6th grade P.E. teacher never thought would happen.  Take that what's-your-face!

The Graffiti Run was a funfilled event of colored powder, crazy people, and general madness.  All the things I love in life!  The event was staged at Elitch Gardens, an amusement park in downtown Denver that claims some affiliation to Six Flags, although it looks more like a shoddy carnival that leaves kids haunted by the memories of what they saw behind the tent more than anything else.

The race winded throughout the park and the adjoining parking lots, with several stations that looked like massive color clouds.  My earlier analogy of a riot seemed most appropriate at those stations, but I definately got caught up in the thrill and excitement of it all.




The event ended in a massive party that reminded me of day 3 of Lollapalooza on it's hottest day.  With dust and colored powder being kicked into the air, and 10,000 strong people dancing the day away, it was quite the sight to behold.  And I beholded the hell out of it.











So that's me now, soon to be home owner, and guy who just ran-walked a 5K.  Nobody expected either of those things from me, most of all, me.  I'm still in doubt.  But at least there's picture proof that it happened!

No comments:

Post a Comment