Monday, June 3, 2013

Longest Recorded Post Ever of All Time

Well after debating all week if I was going to have ANYTHING to do this weekend, I ended up having quite the eventful, fun filled adventure of a weekend.  And luckily for this blog (which I've recently learned has zero design elements to it at all...), the weekend was rife with picture opportunities!  So please sit back, relax and enjoy this visual ride of weekend magic...

It all started Thursday with yet another Postal Service concert, this time at Red Rocks.  You might think I'm the number #1 super fan of this band that broke up 10 years ago, but really I was invited by a friend to go see the show and it just so happened to be at the greatest concert venue in the nation.  And that is no exaggeration.  Red Rocks Amphitheatre is a open-air concert venue that seats over 9,400 people, nestled between two large naturally acoustic rock formations, with a stage nestled in front of a 3rd rock formation.  The venue is by far one of the coolest places to visit in CO, let alone see a show there!  As luck would have it, we were able to secure some amazing 4th row seating which, now that I think about it, probably also goes to make me look like that #1 super fan.  The concert itself was amazing, with a great opening performance by Ra Ra Riot.  Here's some pics:

Ra Ra Riot - Check out that Electric Cello!


Thank God we were up front...

The Postal Service

Super Angry The Postal Service?
On Friday (yet another 3 day weekend by the way!), my friend and I decided to take advantage of the spectacular weather and drove out to Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge.  The site used to be a military chemical weapons manufacturing facility, until 1992, upon discovery of several species of wildlife that called that military waste dump home.  It's proximity to Stapleton, where my house is being built, is the reason I believe I will eventually grow a 3rd arm or a shark fin on my back one day.  Or at least I hope so.

Anyways, our little drive through the park was relatively hum drum, although we did see some awesome Bison and a crap ton of prairie dogs.  One was even orchestrating a herd of deer.  Or plotting something evil....you decide.







We also snuck into the Denver Botanical Gardens afterwards, which was a pretty impressive complex.  Here's a serene picture from one of the hidden sections of the maze that is the gardens:





On Saturday, I let myself get suckered into babysitting my friend's son Liam.  As in the past, I tried to spend the entire time until bedtime frying his braincells with mind numbing television, but his selection of idiotic cartoon movies proved too much for me.  In an effort to calm him down (read:  tire him out completely) before bedtime, I took him and the dog out for a walk around the neighborhood.  But even this became a horticultural adventure....as Liam stole leaves and flowers from people's yards.  I enabled him of course.  In fact the only thing we didn't pick up on that walk was the dog's droppings.  (Ain't MY dog....)  Liam turned his discoveries into a present for him mom.

Finally, on Sunday, I went on the longest hike of my life (which isn't that long by Colorado standards.  Why must they constantly shame me?!)  But this 10.8 miles round trip hike at the new(?) Staunton State Park had 1,300 feet of elevation gain and ended at an overlook of a pretty decent waterfall.  While invigorating (read:  completely effing exhausting), I spent the rest of the day groaning on the couch that my feet hurt.  Probably a longer first hike of the season than I should have done but you only live once right?


Stream flowing below a tunnel of ice

Inception like photo within a photo

Some old ruins.  Great spot to eat lunch.

Elk Falls

Panorama from the top of the hike


Pretending like I wasn't miserable and thinking about the long return journey.

Yeah, so that was my weekend.  What the hell did YOU do all weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment