Thursday, August 1, 2013

Denver: It's More than Just an Omlette

I realized, now, some 70+ posts after having started this blog, that it was originally going to be about Denver.  I live in a great city, and sure I talk indirectly about it through the various activities and things that I get into on a weekly basis.  But after last weekend's marathon of "Denver selling" I did, I thought that today would be a good day to talk about all the great things I've learned about Denver.  Or at least a short introspective on how my opinion of Denver has changed since I've moved here, titled, What I Thought vs What I Now Know

What I Thought:

All of Denver is brown.

What I Now Know:

While none of the trees in Denver are native to Denver, there sure are a lot of them.  And green space abounds here.  The sheer number of parks, green belts, and open space intermixed throughout the city is very well planned, thoughtful city design.  This may be home of the purple mountain majesty, but it would be nothing without the fruited plain.

What I Thought:

People in Denver will tear you a new one if you throw plastic in a trash can.

What I Now Know:

Even throwing away plastic can be a form of recycling.  Mainly because of the abundant "urban scavengers" aka "homeless" that I walk by searching trash cans every morning.  What treasures will they find!?  Oh the mystery!

What I Thought:

No humidity is not THAT big of a difference than FL.

What I Now Know:

It SO is.

What I Thought:

Denver is known for their omelets (you knew that one was coming....)

What I Now Know:

Every restaurant in Denver is either an Asian restaurant or Tacos.  And yet oddly enough, we don't have any Asian taco places.  Seems like a huge gap there.  Of course they don't have a food truck that services both people and pets yet either, which is why The Sip N Slobber is gonna be so huge!

What I Thought:

People in Denver are all stoned out hippies who walk around barefoot and smell like a mixture of death and patchouli singing folk songs about mountain climbing.

What I Now Know:

While that's a large part of the demographic here, there's also some pretty fantastic groups of people that you won't find anywhere else.  But like Lavar Burton says, you don't have to take my word for it.

 - The Ladies Fancywork Society:  This amazing group of young ladies vandalize some of Denver's greatest works of art with what can only be described as some of the most incredible needlework outside of a heroin den!

 - The Rocky Mountain Rollergirls:  Denver's own roller derby team, the Rocky Mountain Roller girls are knocking skulls and leaving treadmarks all over the metro area.  Or in one single arena somewhere in Denver.  When they're not skating in sanctioned events, they take to the streets and chase after mobs of people with pool noodles and plastic bats.

 - Finally, pretty much everyone in Denver who dons a costume at the drop of a hat.  But none so dedicated as the runners in the Denver Gorilla Run, a 5K that runs through the streets of downtown in late October, to raise awareness and funds for mountain gorillas.  Everyone in the race is dressed in a legit gorilla costume.  Because nothing makes you want to donate money to save gorillas like having the shit scared out of you when you see a huge group of them barreling down on you.

And that's where I live!  You should live there too!

2 comments:

  1. See. I told you this state wasn't brown and that it was tots awesome. Glad you finally get why I havent left yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also glad youre starting to feel the frustration of trying to explain to everyone else how Colorado isnt a frozen tundra and that living here is way better than anywhere in FL. They just dont get it.

    ReplyDelete