Tuesday, March 11, 2014

It Took Me 33 Years to Finally Get a Cake Made in an Easy Bake Oven

Last Thursday, with minimal cursing of gods and gnashing of teeth, I boarded an airplane bound for Seattle.  Actually, there was some gnashing of teeth, as I somehow managed to lose my driver's licensing somewhere between the TSA undressing station and my gate.  Thinking it better to be a fugitive of law, with no identity, than miss my flight, I boarded the plane anyways.  Before take off, I once again asked my neighbor, who's done more than her share of favors for me this month alone, to overnight me my work badge, so that I'd be able to fly home on Monday.  PS - My work badge's sole purpose in the last 11 years has been to get through security at the airport.  I am still not sure what else it does....or what I do for that matter.

Anyways, I DID make it to Seattle and spent my weekend with a wonderful friend who I haven't seen in two years.  She is very pregnant, so our activities included things like, looking at baby clothes, shopping at Costco, and resting.  Of course, these are all activities (aside from the looking at baby clothes) that I'm well versed in, given my lifelong struggle with the less-advertised condition known as Afternoon Pregnancy.  Anybody familiar with this debilitating disease knows that Afternoon Pregnancy exhibits its symptoms as lower back pain, shortness of breath, tiredness, bloating, headaches and the feeling like something is headbutting your insides.  This usually occurs post lunch, and is especially strong on days when you don't get enough sleep the night before.  One day, somebody will run a 5K for the cure of AP.  Of course if you can run a 5K, you probably don't suffer from AP....

What was I talking about?  Oh yeah, Seattle!  So it just so happened that my birthday was also this weekend, and it was made very special by hanging out with this piece of work.  My friend's daughter is self-admitted fiesty-pants, and I have to say, she was pretty hilarious the last few days.  Here's some pictures from an impromptu modeling shoot the day I left:

Sassy

Superstar

Fierce!

Normal


Also thanks to her, I will probably have the lyrics to every song from Frozen in my head for the next 3 months. 

In other news, I've determined that if I'm going to be serious about running this 5K in April, I need to start training this week.  No excuses now.  It's now or never.  Eye of the Tiger.  or something.  Last time I got to about Week 4 of training, then stagnated in that for like 3 weeks, then quit for a couple weeks, than tried to jump back into week 6, than claimed I had a hurt foot (it was an over exaggeration), and finally decided to just run about 1/3 of the race.  This time I have to do way better.  I'm already stressing about it.  Let's just go back to this instead, from her cover of Asian Super Market Weekly:


Oh yeah, on my flight back to Denver, we started getting ready for landing about 45 minutes before we landed, because of some expected turbulence that happens when a plane thinks it can overtake a mountain.  This turbulence was blown way out of proportion.  But that seatbelt sign came on right at the same time that I realized, as I was stuck by the window with two large people next to me, that I had to pee like nobody has ever peed before.  It was bite your tongue, dig fingernails into your palms kind of torture waiting to hit the gate, so I could scramble in an attempt to not relive my first day of kindergarten and wet myself.  I guess after 11 years, I still haven't figured out how to fly.  Whatever.  At least I wasn't on that flight from Vietnam that landed on the LOST island.  Come on you know you were thinking that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment