Tuesday, February 24, 2015

It's Like Pharrel Just Skipped To The End of the Movie.

As predicted, I completely forgot or stopped caring about my plans to do an entire week of Restaurant reviews.  I blame this partially on the onset of my Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is defined by the first two sentences of wikipedia (yes that's all I read....this points to a larger problem in my life) as a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter or summer.  Such is the case after days and days of cold blizzardy snow here in the Denver area, my SAD disposition is in full effect, much like Reggie's band.  (anyone?)

The cause of this uncurable disease?  See for yourself:




Yeah, I know, pictures of snow.  SO original.

Of course, I have tried to combat the SAD with all the typical methods of coping.

1.  Invited friends to visit.  Most of you who follow my antics on facebook know that a large family of Cubans immigrated to Denver for a few days (potentially illegally.)  I kept "tabs" on them using the hashtag #CubanVacation.



Their first taste of snow over (literally, they kept tasting the snow), it quickly became a tiring experience for these two young kids.








Based solely on those pictures you'd think these kids were miserable.  Sure one had two shattered ear drums, but honestly, they had a lot of fun.  Or maybe they too suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder.  One day somebody will run for the cure for this horrible disease.

2.  Looked to religion.  Oftentimes, when we are at our worst, we seek the advice of God or God's disciples to allieve us of our grief.  I went a different route, and tried to BE Jesus.



I walked on water....(see what I did there?)

3.  Tried to better myself with Arts and Culture.  I don't even know how to explain what this was, but I'll try my best.

At a strange art event in Denver, I and a friend enjoyed free drinks and strange but enchanting performance art.  The most interesting piece was the overarching theme depicting the struggle between Art and Southwest Airlines.  An age old conflict. 

First, Art appeared:


Then, Art got mounted by Southwest Airlines, in a hostile takeover attempt:






But then Art starting fighting back, and this weird non-symbiotic relationship happened:


Eventually, Art won, and humanity lost:


4.  Sorry that last one was long.  Another step combat SAD (yeah that's what this post is still about), is the tried and true practice of summoning spirit animals to disrupt your Dim Sum lunch outing:




I was horrified by that last picture of the remains of that child in the lion's mouth until somebody explained that it was just a costume.  These guys pretending to be a dragon were really bad at hiding.

video


5.  Last but not least, I tried getting a pet:





But like everything else (cue violins), they left me.


Maybe I'll ask one of their understudies if they want to be my pet.





Alas, none of these things, nor the intermittent sunshine have done enough to alleiviate my SAD.  So finally, I turned to the one place, who's warm comforting embrace, and unconditional acceptance has always brought me out of my funk.  Of course, I'm talking about television, and it's many wonders.  One such wonder is a movie I recently saw called Hector and the Search for Happiness.  It stars Simon Pegg of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame, and Rosamund Pike, of Gone Girl infamy.  The movie is about a psychiatrist named Hector who realizes that he is not happy and therefore can help others become happy.  He sets off on a whirlwind tour of the world searching for happiness.  All of this you could have determined just from the title.  So basically I've provided you zero information.  I think I liked it so much because it's an introspective yet campy rom-com of sorts, that finds lessons or truths about how to be happy, in every one he meets.  Basically, I think he's saying Happiness is other people.  And from somebody who's being reclusive and suffering from SAD...

...well I just think that's funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment